Monday, August 2, 2010

Eichornia crassipes

Water Hyacinth (Eichornia crassipes):  Flowers

These beautiful flowers are from a plant that is considered a weed in natural bodies of waters - the water hyacinth.  This is particularly true in California where the plant can withstand the mild winter temperatures.   

Weed is defined as plant growing in the wrong place.  Therefore my plants are NOT weeds because they are growing where I want them to be.  They are floating inside huge decorative pots in my garden.  They help keep the water clear and they produce beautiful ethereal flowers.  

In another place of the yard, we have a plastic pond where my son keeps his pet turtle.  The water hyacinth provides a hiding place for the turtle and adds greenery to an otherwise boring pond.  So it is very useful for us.  The plant reproduces rapidly but I am not worried about it because I am looking at a potential mulching-material.  :)

Water Hyacinth is a free-floating plant.

Grow water hyacinths in your water gardens but don't let them go astray into other waters.

1 comment:

Tarps UK said...

I'm glad you exposed this insane behavior. Amazing post! This really means a lot to me. Too much, I liked this. Completely concur! I hoped you enjoyed my post. I am appreciative of this information. Heavy Duty tarpaulin

Related Posts with Thumbnails