Saturday, May 29, 2010

Bok Choy: A Fast Food

Bok Choy or pechay (Brassica rapa)
Some of pechay made their way to kitchen today.

Exactly one month from the time of sowing, the bok-choy in my garden is ready for harvesting.  If there is such thing as "fast food" in the garden, bok choy (a.k.a. pechay) is one of them.  

Bok Choy is a very common vegetable in the South East Asian countries. It is one of the most common vegetables grown in backyard gardens.  I grew up eating a lot of them. :)  For some reason (nostalgia) I seem to always buy a packet of seeds every year and sometimes I also forget to plant them.   I remember the first time I tried to plant this in my California garden.  It was summer and I was pleased to see the young plants emerge so quickly.  However, shortly after they put on their first pair of true-leaves they "bolted" (flower).  Bok Choy is a long-day plant - a lesson I had to learn.   

As of today the daylength in California is 14 hrs and 33 minutes.  So far no sign of bolting has been observed.  I wonder what the critical day length is for bok choy.

2 comments:

Tarps UK said...

I hope you liked my comment because this is very unique and nice content. I really appreciate this content. Thank you so much for this information. Tarpaulins saved all types of flowers and fruits like sunflower and apple. Canvas Tarpaulin

Tarps UK said...

Your insights on mindfulness hit home for me. It's easy to get lost in the chaos of life, but your article reminds us to embrace the present moment. Your words serve as a gentle nudge to live with intention and awareness. heavy duty waterproof tarpaulin

Related Posts with Thumbnails