The first daffodil flower this year.
Things we did in the yard today:
My fellow gardener (aka husband) and I took the time to do some work in the yard on this overcast day.
1. Remove all old leaves around the yard. There some areas in the yard where a layer of leaves might be used as mulch. However there are also areas that are intended to be kept neat and clean - at this time should should be cleaned from all old plant parts.
2. Empty water from open vessels. There are always containers or pot saucers in the yard that collect water when it rains which need to be emptied to discourage mosquitoes from breeding in them and to protect the roots of plants in containers.
3. Fill up bird feeders. The birds are not only delightful to watch but they are also helpful in eating some of the pests around the yard.
4. Spread snail bait and pesticide (granules) for soil-born insects such as grubs on the lawn area.
5. Fertilize the lawn. At this time of the year, complete fertilizer, such as 16-16-16 helps the grass develop not just the part that are seen but also the the roots which is necessary for our dry area. The better root system the plants have, the better ability it has to search for water and other resources during the drier months. With that said, my fellow gardener decided to use the Weed and Feed from last year. It contained a high dose of nitrogen (28-0-2) and some herbicide (2,4 D). High levels of nitrogen is not needed by the grass at this time but it's not detrimental, so no big deal. The problem was the herbicide in the fertilizer because I saw him spreading it around the succulents! We'll see what happens next. :)
6. Prune shrubs. Rosemary, Mexican sage, Santa Barbara daisies.
7. Fortified the surrounding hollow blocks of the compost pile.
Mint: Expelled from the vegetable plot.
8. Remove mint runners from vegetable plots. I left one mint plant outside the container last year and this time there are new mint everywhere. I knew it was going to happen but I did not anticipate how far they would go within a year. :)
9. Mow the grass. The grass needed a little haircut today. And it looks better now.
After we got done with yard work, we had lunch and then watched the Masterpiece movie "Great Expectations". I think we deserved it. :)
Every day spent tending the garden is a beautiful day.