Saturday, May 29, 2010

Bok Choy: A Fast Food

Bok Choy or pechay (Brassica rapa)
Some of pechay made their way to kitchen today.

Exactly one month from the time of sowing, the bok-choy in my garden is ready for harvesting.  If there is such thing as "fast food" in the garden, bok choy (a.k.a. pechay) is one of them.  

Bok Choy is a very common vegetable in the South East Asian countries. It is one of the most common vegetables grown in backyard gardens.  I grew up eating a lot of them. :)  For some reason (nostalgia) I seem to always buy a packet of seeds every year and sometimes I also forget to plant them.   I remember the first time I tried to plant this in my California garden.  It was summer and I was pleased to see the young plants emerge so quickly.  However, shortly after they put on their first pair of true-leaves they "bolted" (flower).  Bok Choy is a long-day plant - a lesson I had to learn.   

As of today the daylength in California is 14 hrs and 33 minutes.  So far no sign of bolting has been observed.  I wonder what the critical day length is for bok choy.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails