Tuesday, March 2, 2010

More Succulents

I happened to be at Home Depot buying a new dishwasher and as a general rule I had to swing by the nursery.  Of course it is hard to go there without being heart-broken watching those poor plants without any home. (Just kidding...) I got a couple more to add to my new collection of succulents.  I am continually amazed at the various shapes, color, texture and architecture of their leaves.  I always prefer to buy in the smallest pots because they are cheaper and I like to understand the behavior of the plants by watching them grow.


It is a good idea to check the condition of the plants by looking at the roots before buying them.   If you have a choice, get the ones that combine good foliage and root system (the sign of a healthy plant).  Root-bound plants are already stressed;  they will take longer time to get established in your garden. 

Transplant (repot) new plants into slightly bigger pots to allow more room for the roots and to give a base that is proportional to the size of the foliage.  My plants are exposed to winds; the smaller plants and those with large leaves are prone to being blown away.  Therefore, I prefer heavier pots over plastic ones.
Echeveria shaviana


Compact Mini Jade (Crassula argentea 'Compacta')

Graptosedum 'Alpenglow'/'Vera Higgins'

 Aloe Hybrid (Aloe 'Crosby's Prolific')

2 comments:

Tarps UK said...

I hope you liked my comment because this is very unique and nice content. I really appreciate this content. Thank you so much for this information. Tarpaulins saved all types of flowers and fruits like sunflower and apple. glass clear tarpaulin

Tarps UK said...

Your book review has piqued my interest in a way I didn't expect. Your thoughtful analysis of the plot, characters, and themes provides a glimpse into the world the author has created. Your passion for literature shines through, and I'm excited to add this book to my reading list. buy tarpaulin

Related Posts with Thumbnails