Thursday, September 17, 2009

Bartlett Pear


Bartlett Pears still on a tree




Bartlett Pears ripened at room temperature



I thought that the pear tree, Pyrus communis, in my bakyard was Anjou but this year it I concluded that it is Bartlett.  One of the most distingishing characteristics of Bartlett pear is that they change color from green to golden with a hint of red as they ripen.  They have a smooth and juicy texture.  I also found out that the flesh disintegrates easily when being cooked making it a good candidate for making pear-sauce and pear-butter.

One problem I need to deal with next year is pear codling moth, Cydia pomonella.

1 comment:

Tarps UK said...

This is very nice blog. I appreciate to this work. We are also sale gardening materials like that tarpaulins. Thanks for sharing this types of blogs. Hard and unique work. Tarps

Related Posts with Thumbnails