Sunday, April 11, 2010

Challenged by the Weather

Emerging beans.

I've been deceived again!  When I planted these beans, the weather was already warm and it seemed as though we were already in the middle of spring.  (My children were beginning to wear shorts and t-shirts.)   Shortly after planting the weather changed; it's been cold again.  As a result the germination of the seeds was arrested or slowed down.  The other day I went and check on them and this is what I saw.   Not only they were kept underground for a long time but that subterranean insects also had the time to feed on the nutritious seed cotyledons as you can see on the picture.

Gardening is all about learning.  Even if I know that the speed of germination process is inversely related to the temperature I cannot predict what the weather is going to do.  I might be able to mark my calendar this year and say that today is a safe time to plant my beans but then next year will be different.   This is a challenge that all gardeners have to face. 

As I write this post, I'm looking outside.  It's raining and I hear the comforting sound of trickling water.  The seeds in the ground may be growing very slowly but the reason for all these is good for the garden as a whole.  I will therefore enjoy the beautiful things that are happening right now instead of focus on what is not.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails